Barnton, Cheshire, England
HICKSONs who have some connection to Barnton, Cheshire.
Only people whose parents are not known to me have been included.
If you would like more information about a Hickson who is not included please
Barnton is situated between
Pat Riedel, Texas, writes:
I was born in Barnton in 1943 and Christ Church churchyard was at the end of my garden.
I remember there was a Hickson Street in the village and I'm really stretching my memory to remember a little shop run by the Hicksons.
I was a member of Christ Church for many years.
When I was young Barnton was a very small village then Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) moved in a lot of people from the Liverpool
area and our village at least doubled in size.
ICI was the main employer then; otherwise there were many farms and agriculture supported the rest of the population.
During the war there had been a prisoner of war camp in Anderton (about a mile away) where the Germans were housed.
They in fact were put to work in Barnton and actually built the council house that I moved into when very young.
There were several different chapels in the village but only one Church of England.
Eventually a Catholic church was erected - probably around 1960, to the shock of many residents.
Beside the church and chapels, we had several pubs including the Red Lion, Travelers Rest, Shepherd's View,
and a few others I don't recall the name of.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Thomas Hickson was buried 1860 in Christ Church
- Annaretta Hickson was buried 1863 in Christ Church
- Elizabeth Hickson was buried 1863 in Christ Church
- William Hickson was buried 1863 in Christ Church
- Richard Hickson was buried 1868 in Christ Church
- William Hickson was buried 1869 in Christ Church
- May Hickson was buried 1870 in Christ Church
- Thomas Hickson was buried 1871 in Christ Church
- Betty Hickson was born 1773 and buried 1837 in Great Budworth. She lived in Barnton at some time
- John and Anne Higson had their daughter baptised 1809 in Great Budworth. They lived in Barnton at some time
- Susannah Hickson was buried 1880 in Christ Church
- William Hickson was buried 1889 in Christ Church
- Jane Hickson was buried 1894 in Christ Church
- John and Maria Hickson lived in Barnton and Great Budworth.
Their son, George, was baptised 1829 in Great Budworth, and
Maria was buried 1867 in Christ Church
- Elizabeth Hickson was buried 1905 in Christ Church
- John Hickson was buried 1908 in Christ Church
- John Hickson was born 1815 in Barnton. His wife, Mary Sandbach, was born 1815 in Weaverham.
Most of their children was baptised in Barnton.
- William Hickson was born 1821 in Barnton. He was a master mariner. His wife, Marey, was born 1831 in Whiten.
- George Hickson was born 1829 in Barnton. Later he married Elizabeth. He was a waterman.
- Beatrice Hickson of Barnton ran a Grocery shop. (No dates)
- Samuel Hickson, born 1831 in Barnton, and Mary had a son, Alfred in 1861 in Barnton.
He was a waterman.
- Henry Hickson (1844-1895) was buried in Christ Church. He lived with his wife, Ellen, and his
children in Barnton. He was a waterman.
- The father of Herbert Hickson (ca 1879-1944) lived at the Ropery in Barnton. Mr Hickson had a brother.
- Priscilla Hickson was born ca 1850 in Barnton.
- Ellen Hickson (1849/1851-1886) married, 10 June 1867, William Atkinson in Barnton Church.
They lived at Little Leigh.
- Mr Hickson (1859-1947), a recognized pianist, of Barnton and later, Crosby had, at least,
two children, Florence (Florrie) born ca 1884 and Samuel born 1889 in Barnton.
- The brothers, George (born ca 1862) and John (Capt Jack) (1863-ca 1940) were born in Barnton
- Samuel Hickson, born 1865, married Martha Jane Poole in Christ Church 1886-1890 (Cheshire BMD)
- Frank Hickson (born in Barnton) married Mary Deakin 1897 in Great Budworth
- Alice Elizabeth Hickson married John Rose Appleton in the early 1890s in Christ Church (Cheshire BMD)
- George William Hickson married Lydia Elizabeth Houghton early 1890s in Christ Church (Cheshire BMD)
- Sarah Jane Hickson married Frederick Wright early 1890s in Christ Church (Cheshire BMD)
- John Hickson (ca 1874-ca 1960) and his wife Charlotte Clark moved from Lower Peover to Barnton.
- Richard Hickson married Frances Hannah Heywood late 1890s in Christ Church (Cheshire BMD)
- Jane Gertrude Hickson married Enoch Wood 1902 in Christ Church
- Minnie Hickson married John Smith 1902 in Christ Church (Cheshire BMD)