Mariners, Watermen and Boatmen
- Thomas Hickson was a Mariner of Dover. He died 1643
- Edward Hickson was described as a Master Mariner in 1649. Scarborough, Yorkshire
- Martin Hickson was a Mariner. He died at sea ca 1658. Wapping, Middlesex
- John Hickson was a Mariner. His Will was made in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
- Bennett Hickson, born 1585 in Sandwich, Kent, he was Master of the ship 'Peter' in 1637
- Benjamin Hickson, Mariner, died ca 1693 in St Thomas' Hospital, Southwark
- William Hickson was a Mariner on TMS 'Lenox'. Will 1695, the executor was of Deptford, Kent
- John Hickson was a Mariner. Will 1697. Executor of Stepney
- John Hixson was a Mariner. He died, 1696, in HMS Drake. Location: Stepney, Shadwell, Middlesex
- Charles Hickson was a Mariner. Will 1695, Shadwell, Middlesex. 'Eagle' at Antigua, West Indies
- Isaiah Hixon, born 1656 in Dumbarton, Scotland, was a ship builder & traded in the West Indies.
He was buried 1722 in Philadelphia
- George Hickson was a Mariner. Location: Red Maid Lane, Stepney.
He was probably born ca 1658
- Joseph Hickson was a Mariner, Will made 31st May 1714 in Misterton, he died 1714
- John Hickson, Mariner of Liverpool, died 1782
- Robert Hickson was a Master Mariner. Will 1787, Gainsborough
- James Hickson was a Mariner. He lived in Blundal Street, Liverpool. He was probably born ca 1756
- Thomas Hickson of Everton, born 1796 in Liverpool, was a shipwright in 1841 and a carpenter in 1851
- Thomas Hixon of Liverpool, was a Shipwright in 1806
- William Buckley Hickson was on board HMS Delphinen in 1808
- Richard Hickson, born 1779 in Barnton. He was a flat hauler
- Charles Hickson was a ship builder in 1837
- Richard Hickson, born ca 1790, was a boatman of Newton between 1815 & 1828
- John Hickson, born sometime between 1792 & 1825, was a Ship's Carpenter. Cheshire / Staffordshire
- George Hickson, born 1796 in Salford, was a Waterman (1851)
- Richard Hickson, born 28 AUG 1802 in Barnton, Cheshire,
married 11 JUN 1823, in Saint Peter Church Street, Liverpool,
was the Master on the ship 'Onward' (1861)
died 11 DEC 1882 in Barnton, Cheshire,
buried 14 DEC 1882 in Barnton Churchyard
- Robert Hickson, born ca 1804. Ship building & Timber yard. Queen's Island, Belfast
- Henry Hickson, born 1806 in Kent,
was described at various times as Bargeman, Lighterman, Pilot, Waterman and Seaman.
He died before 1881
- John Hickson, born 5 FEB 1808 in Barnton, Cheshire,
married 18 SEP 1827, in Saint Peter Church Street, Liverpool,
was described as a Flatman and a Waterman.
He died 15 JUN 1882 in Barnton and was
buried 15 JUN 1882 in Barnton Church Yard
- Joseph Hickson, born 1809 in Hull, was an A B Seaman on the ship 'Perseverance' in 1861
- William Hickson was born 1810 in Irlam. In 1861 he was a 'River Banksman Canal',
in 1881 he was an Agricultural Labourer
- William Hickson, father of Benjamin (see below), was a boatman
- Thomas Hickson, born 1811 in Wisbech, was Captain on the ship 'Economy' in 1861
- William Hickson, born 7 SEP 1812 in Barnton,
was a Waterman,
died 1876 in Barnton,
buried 28 JUN 1876 in Barnton Church Yard
- John Hickson was a boatman in 1869. He was the father of Thomas Hickson who was born 1846 (see below)
- John Hickson, born 1815 in Barnton, Cheshire, was a Waterman
- James Hickson, born 1816 in Erith, Kent, was a rope maker on the ship 'Trafalgar' in 1861
- John Hickson, born about 1816, was a Waterman
- William Hickson, born 1821 in Barnton, was a Master Man - Boat/Vessel/Ship Lord Hill?
- Robert Hickson was the owner and Richard Hickson was the Captain of the flat "Sarah" on 22 July 1863.
The tonnage of the flat was 115.
- John Richard Hickson, born 3 APR 1824 in Barnton, Cheshire,
was a Waterman,
died after 1882
- William Hickson, born 1825 in Over, was a Waterman
- John Hixon was born 1825 in Boarspit, Wales. He was a Seaman and was drowned in 1871
- Richard Hickson, born 1826 in Kerry, was a grain merchant and ship owner
- Charles Hickson, born 1827 in East Peckham, was a Ship's Master
- Alfred Hickson, born 1829 in Hampsted, Warwick, was a Private, R.M. on ship 'Hero'
- George Hickson, born 1829 in Barnton, Cheshire, was the Master on the ship 'Harry' (1861), a Waterman (1881)
- The brothers, William, Robert & John S Hickson, of Tralee, Ireland were agents for various ships from
Tralee. Robert Hickson started a Shipyard in Belfast in 1853 which was later taken over
by his manager Edward J Harland, who later took on a partner - Wolfe - and became one of the
world's greatest shipyards.
- James Hickson, born 1829 in Hampsted, Warwickshire, was a Private, R.M. on ship 'Hero'
- Samuel Hickson, born 1830, of Bell's Brow, Barnton (1841). He was a Saddler (Slater's directory for 1855).
Was he also a Waterman?
- Samuel Hickson, born 1831 in Barnton, Cheshire, was a Waterman (1881 census)
- Is there some confusion between these two?
Both married "Mary", both had sons called "Alfred" in 1860 or 1861.
- John Hickson, born 1831 in Middlewich, Cheshire, Master boatman
- Joseph Hickson, born 1834 in Middlewich, Boatmaster in 1881
- Henry Hickson, born 1835 in Peckham. Master & crew of ship 'William Stone'
- Thomas Hickson, born 1835 in Heston or Isleworth, was a Gunner on the ship 'Greyhound' in 1861
- James Hickson, born 1836 in Barnton, Cheshire. He was a Master, Waterman. (Of Bell's Brow)
- William Hixson, born 1838 in Glamorgan, Wales, was a Mariner in 1861 and a Labourer in 1881
- John Hickson, born 15 APR 1839 in Barnton, Cheshire. He was a Waterman. (Of Bell's Brow)
- Richard Hickson, born 1840 in Barnton, Northwich, Cheshire,
lived at Bell's Brow, Barnton,
is described as a Rope maker (1851),
a Waterman (on his marriage certificate) and
Barge Captain of V 'Clara' (1881)
married 7 AUG 1873, in Christ Church, Barnton,
died 6 APR 1887 in Barnton
- John Walter Hickson, born 1842 in Battersea, was a shipwright
- Mr Hickson, father of Richard, Florence & Tom, used to work on the canals. He was probably born in the 1840s
- Henry Hickson, born 1844 in Barnton, Cheshire,
was a Waterman (1881),
buried 1895 in Christ Church, Barnton, Cheshire
- Thomas Richard Hickson, born 1844 in Wisbeach, Cambridgeshire, was a Seaman on the ship 'Economy' in 1861.
In 1881 he was described as a Mariner
- Enoch Hickson was born 1844 in Barnton to Richard Hickson.
In 1861 he was the Master's son on the ship 'Onward'
- Thomas Hickson was born 1846 in Middlewich and died 1883. He was a boatman
- Robert Hickson was born 1847 in Barrow, Lincolnshire. He was a Fisherman; The Master of the Vessel
'The Albert Edward'
- Edmund Hickson, born 1849, was the Fleet paymaster on the 'Rodney' (RN).
He also served on the Vessel 'Pegasus'
- John? Hickson was the Harbour Master in Liverpool. He died ca 1927
- William Hickson, born 1851 in Wharton, died 1937. He was known as Tightner due to tying up
his canal boats so tightly
- George Hickson was born 1853 in Aldgate, Middlesex. He was a Lighterman
- Joseph Hixon was born 1858 in Oystermouth, Wales. He was a Seaman
- John Leonard Hickson, born in Barking, was a sea Captain in small ships.
He died in his 80s before 1948
- John Hickson was born 1863 in Barnton. He was an Ordinary Seaman and died ca 1940 in Flint
- Edward Hickson was born 1864 in Sandbach. His occupation in 1881 was 'Hand Barge'
- Edward Hickson, born 1865 in Barnton, Cheshire. He was a Waterman (1881)
- Samuel Hickson was born 1866 in Anderton, Northwich. He was a Barge Boy aboard the vessel 'Clara'
- William Hickson of Salford, an Engineer, was killed on the Manchester Ship Canal
- Joseph Hickson was a Shipping Clerk. He died 1932 just after retirement
- George Hickson, born 1868 in Barnton, Cheshire. He was described as a Waterman's son in 1881.
(son of Richard, above)
- George William Hickson, born 1870, was a Waterman
- John Herbert Hickson, born 1871 in Hull, was a Shipping Clerk
- Walter T Hickson, born 1871 in Battersea, was a Steamship Engine Driver (Sea)
- Albert Henry Hickson, born 1875 in Lydden, Kent, was a Seaman. He drowned 1905 in Poole Harbour
- Richard & Florence Annie Hickson, born ca 1875 & 1884, were boat people on the canal
- Richard Hickson, born 1877 in Ireland. He was an Able Seaman living in Cornwall in 1901
- James Thomas Hickson, born ca 1878, was a canal worker. He died by drowning
- Fred Hickson, born 9th June 1878 in Rock Ferry, was, in 1881, a Master's son.
Is he the same person as the next entry?
- Frederick Hickson, born ca 1880, was a Seafarer. He died ca 1939 in St Andrews Square, Birkenhead
- Joseph Hickson of Middlewich, born ca 1880, was a canal boatman
- Thomas Hickson, born 1881 in Middlewich, was a canal boatman
- Frederick Hickson was born 1895. He was a Seaman and died 1986. He lived in Flint
- Hugh (Hughie) Hickson, born ca 1899, was a Seaman. (Hull)
- Thomas Patrick Hickson, born 1901, died 1971, was a Seaman
- Harold Hickson, born 1901 at Rock Ferry, Liverpool, worked 'on the barges'. He transported grain.
His father was a Bargee
The Watermen's Strike
- [Use the "Back" link at the top of that page to return here]
If you know of any more people that should be added to this list,
or if you would like any more details of any of the above,
please get in touch.