Hicksons in New England, USA
New England is the North Eastern corner of the US: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts
Connecticut and Rhode Island, but not New York.
- The earliest HICKSONs/HIXSONs in New England were Walter HICKSON,
Robert HICKSON, and Richard HIXSON, all of whom married in Mass. between
1678 and 1686. It is not known when or where they were born, who their
parents were, or whether they were related.
- Walter HICKSON married Sarah WHITE in Feb. 1678/79 in Hatfield, Mass.
They had three children, none of whome lived long enough to marry.
- Robert HICKSON married Sarah BREWSTER on 26 Sep 1679 in Exeter, Mass.
No children were recorded for them.
- Richard HIXSON and Margaret WATKINS are the ancestors of most of the
HIXSONs and HIXONs in New England.
Richard HIXSON: b. ca. 1660, d. 28 JAN 1717/1718 Dorchester, Suffolk,
Mass. Parents unknown.
He was the first HIX(S)ON known in New England. He marrried: 14 Sep. 1686 Milton, Massachusetts,
Margaret WATKINS (or WADKINS) (New England Marriages Prior to 1700)
"both of Milton" (NEHGS Register 36:19). Death: "Boston Registry Dept.:
A Report of the Record Commissioners of the City of Boston, containing
Dorchester Births, Marriages, and Deaths to the End of 1825." Margaret
WATKINS parents were: Thomas WATKINS (Planter at Merrymeeting Bay, d. bef. 1672)
& Margaret UNKNOWN (Married (2) Thomas Stevens by Aug. 1672). Their children
- John, b. ca. 1690, m. (1) Mehitable HEWINS (2) Sarah CLAPP BIRD
- Richard, b. ca. 1692, m. Sarah FITCH
- Hannah, b. ca. 1695, m. Matthew HOBBS
- Rebecca, b. ca. 1698, m. John PHILLIPS
- Margaret, b. ca. 1700, m. Simon STEARNS
- Elizabeth, b. ca. 1702, m. Thomas MANLEY
- Walter, b. 15 Jun 1705, m. Mary MORSE
has a large collection of New England HIXSONs and HIXONs and would be
glad to share information.